Brig Amity Albany – Are your children big pirate lovers? If so, then a visit to the Brig Amity is a must do whilst in Albany.
The Brig Amity arrived in Princess harbour in 1826. It was used to bring the first European settlers and convicts to Albany to establish a military post. The vessel that is there today, is a full size replica of the original Brig Amity. It was built in the 70’s to mark the 150th anniversary of the arrival.
Miss 3 was a little hesitant to go on at first, as she thought there would be pirates on board. After explaining to her that it was just a display, she was happy to go and check it out.
When we first stepped on board, we were greeted by one of the lovely volunteers. They explained the different areas to explore and gave us a hand held speaker that acts as your guide. At different points on the ship, there are numbered plaques. We typed in the number on the speaker device and got to listen to a little presentation about each particular area on the ship.
There are 3 levels to explore, the top deck, complete with “pirate steering wheel”, the middle deck, which has all the sleeping quarters and the bottom deck, which held all the cargo. My daughter enjoyed climbing in to the bunks and pretending to be a sleeping pirate.
There are a lot of tight squeezes and very steep ladders. Whenever we had to go down the ladders, I had to go first and Miss 3 had to follow me step by step. I would not recommend this for anyone younger than 3 years old.
The Brig Amity is located at the Museum of the Great Southern, on Residency road Albany. Tickets are $5 for Adults, $4 for concession card holders and $2 for children aged 4 and up.
For more information visit, Brig Amity Albany museum.wa.gov.au/brig-amity
- Karrinyup Waters Cafe, Karrinyup - March 20, 2019
- IKEA Cafe, Innaloo - November 11, 2018
- Whalebone Brewing Company, Exmouth - July 19, 2018
- See Salt Cafe, Exmouth - July 19, 2018
- Exmouth Mini Golf - July 19, 2018
- Froth Craft Brewery, Exmouth - July 9, 2018
- Exmouth Waterpark - July 3, 2018
- Funtastic4Kids Play Centre, Wangara - February 20, 2018
- Cocolat Scarborough - February 20, 2018
- Grannie’s Home Kitchen, York - January 29, 2018