Take your family on a river walk along the South Perth foreshore! It’s a great way to get a little exercise in the great outdoors, admiring those city views along the way. The Coode Street Jetty is a great place to start, as there is a free carpark (the main areas of South Perth have paid parking) and there you can walk west to Mends Street Jetty or East towards the causeway.
Both directions include cafes, playgrounds and plenty of river views. Take your bikes or scooters along for some two wheeled fun on the dedicated cycle path. From the Coode Street Jetty carpark we walked west, towards the Mends Street Jetty at South Perth, which is an easy 2km round trip. The path takes you right along the Swan River, here you’ll see lots of birds (swans, shags and more) and boats on the river.
On the walk you’ll see a wetlands area.
The aromatic scented gardens.
And the Scented Gardens playground.
Some of the sandy beaches on the river have volleyball nets, so be sure to take along a ball!
If little legs need to stop along the way, there are lots of benches on the paths. There are also many covered picnic tables and BBQs along the walk, if you’d like to pack your own picnic.
At Mends Street Jetty there are a few cafes and restaurants, where you could stop for a bite to eat. Mister Walker, found on the jetty, also offers a take away window. The South Perth Jetty area resembles a construction site at the moment, as there is a redevelopment underway.
From here we took the 8 minute ferry ride to Elizabeth Quay and enjoyed a very tasty lunch at The Island. After lunch, back on the South Perth Foreshore, Little Chef enjoyed a bit of old school tree climbing.
Be sure to bring along an empty bottle. At Coode St Jetty there is a filtered water dispenser, which pours ice cold water for a small fee. It’s much cheaper than buying bottled water and kinder for the environment.
It is a very easy walk, just keep vigilant of cyclist and joggers by keeping left. The flat marked footpaths make this walk very wheelchair, pram and bike friendly too. If you feel like a bite to eat afterwards, the Boatshed Restaurant and café has a brilliant fenced playground.
Find Coode Street Jetty at Coode St, South Perth
- The Best Chocolate Cafes in Perth and South West WA - April 10, 2019
- Perth Night Noodle Market, Elizabeth Quay - April 6, 2019
- Coode Street Jetty Walk, South Perth - March 31, 2019
- Swan Settlers Markets, Herne Hill - March 29, 2019
- Rottnest Fast Ferries, Hillarys - March 28, 2019
- Swan Valley Fresh Seasonal Produce Trail - March 25, 2019
- May Street Larder at The Mezz, Mount Hawthorn - March 25, 2019
- The Best Family Friendly Shopping Centres in Perth - March 22, 2019
- West Coast Drive Coastal Walk - March 21, 2019
- Kalamunda Farmers Market, Kalamunda - March 15, 2019