Coffee is more fun in a train carriage!
Dome Café is such a great family-friendly option, it’s affordable, the service is consistent and there’s an extensive menu with something to suit everyone, even my fussy pair. You’ll often find me at my local Dome for a quick morning coffee, a late lunch when there’s nothing in the fridge that takes my fancy or milkshake dates after school.
My kids love the Bassendean branch of Dome as you can sit in a train carriage, a beautiful 100-year-old completely refurbished train carriage to be precise. I believe the carriage is from the first locally built train in WA, all the way back in 1908!
I remember watching the carriage craned into Bassendean Shopping Village a couple of years back, it’s actually opposite the main part of the shopping centre if you don’t want to drag your kids past Coles and the indoor play area, you can park right out the front of Dome.
As you step into the carriage there’s a narrow walkway down the side leading you past a number of booths (perfect for 4 – 6 people). The front and the back of the train feature larger tables and I saw a bit of historical literature floating around if you want to read up about the history of the train and you can see images from the restoration on a screen mounted on the wall up the front.
It’s one of the bigger Dome Cafes I have been to and there’s a huge spiral staircase which takes you upstairs to an outdoor area on the roof that overlooks the local football oval. We recently met a few of Izzy’s school friends there one afternoon and we had the alfresco area all to ourselves! It was great as the kids could giggle and squeal and spill their drinks without us worrying about disturbing anyone having a quiet drink around us.
Open from 6am – 9pm 7 days a week.
- Jamie’s Italian, Perth - April 8, 2018
- The Taphouse at Mulberry Estate Swan Valley - January 9, 2018
- The Brickman Wonders of the World - June 26, 2017
- Dome Cafe, Bassendean - May 28, 2017
- Little Princess High Tea at the Pagoda Resort and Spa - May 1, 2017
- Pitter Patter Music Together, Bassendean - April 27, 2017
- Guzman Y Gomez, Mount Lawley - February 27, 2017
- Adventure Putt Miniature Golf, Swan Valley - January 30, 2017
- Mash Brewing Swan Valley - January 27, 2017
- Moore and Moore Cafe Fremantle - January 1, 2017