For little train spotters, there’s a place in Perth where you can imagine you’re on one of Thomas’s carriages Annie or Clarabelle – or even the Hogwarts Express! At Dome Cafe in Bassendean, the railway rich suburb has embraced its heritage on the side of the tracks and created a wonderful space to enjoy a cuppa in a train carriage!
Before heading to the nearby WA Rail Transport Museum, we stopped by for a bit of morning tea. Found at Bassendean Shopping Village, the huge two story Dome Café has plenty of space to sit – but we think you just can’t go past a booth inside the restored train carriage. You’ll want to watch little ones on the spiral staircase, which leads to an outdoor rooftop area.
So we boarded the beautiful 100+ year-old refurbished train carriage. A narrow corridor leads past a number of booths (which fit 4 to 6 people). The front and the back of the train feature rooms with larger, standalone tables.
We were lucky to grab a booth in the train, at the popular café. It was a real treat to sit on the beautiful leather seats, surrounded by vintage touches.
A slideshow shows old photos of the train when it was in use, as well as images of the restoration.
Dome is an affordable and consistent café, with a huge menu with something to suit everyone. We also found the service was very friendly and helpful.
Little Chef was treated to a “fluffy Koala”, a caramello koala milkshake, topped with cream and a caramello koala, who soon lost his head!
I had a hot cup of coffee.
I shared a moist orange and almond cake, which is also gluten free.
Dome Bassendean is a must visit for train lovers of all ages and well worth a visit – especially if you’re heading to the train museum.
Find Dome Cafe at Bassendean Shopping Village, West Road, Bassendean (opposite the wafl oval)
Find more family friendly cafes in Perth here.
- The Ultimate Guide to Trains in Perth & WA - November 22, 2019
- Best Museums in Perth for Kids - November 7, 2019
- The Kewdale Tavern, Kewdale - October 24, 2019
- Burns Beach Twilight Markets - October 15, 2019
- 3 Sheets on the Lake, Woodlands - October 15, 2019
- Laneway Seven, Ellenbrook - October 14, 2019
- Mundaring Hotel, Mundaring - October 9, 2019
- The Family Friendly Guide to Entwined in the Valley - September 26, 2019
- How My Foodie Box Changed my Mealtimes - September 26, 2019
- Coventry Village, Morley - September 23, 2019