Hiring a boat and travelling up the Murchison River is a must if you’re visiting the beautiful town of Kalbarri. During a recent camping holiday in Kalbarri, we decided to hire a motor boat for the day with family and friends. The plan was to meander up the Murchison River in boats hired from Kalbarri Boat Hire on the beach front. We booked the previous day as they do get busy during school and public holidays. We packed a picnic bag, water, hats, towels and sunscreen and we were off!
The Daddy’s in our group organised the hire of the boat and were given instructions on how to use the boats and also how to navigate up the river taking into consideration the low water levels of the river. The kids and adults were all given life jackets and safety instructions. It was quite breezy on the river when we got some speed up, so we used our towels as blankets on the kids’ legs. The tin boats do have a shade in the middle of the boat which is where we positioned the children.
I’m not sure at any point we were quite prepared for how low the river was, and we soon found ourselves PUSHING the boats up the river!
Then we figured out it was easier to pull them…
In places, we got stuck as the water was only ankle deep!
After about nearly an hour we managed to find a beautiful place on the river banks to stop for our picnic and play. We moored boats easily, and all jumped off the vessel into shallow MUD!!
We quickly realised that our idyllic spot was a mud bath, but we managed to find dry land and a picnic table that was relatively dry. But the kids had other ideas and embraced the mud a little too much for our liking.
And then we lost Rachie’s legs…somewhere!!??
Lollie wasn’t overly impressed with getting too muddy, thankfully.
We ended our delightful mud picnic with evidence of our experience and then headed back to pushing the boats back down the river again. Alas, our drama’s weren’t quite over when our friend’s boat motor failed, and we had to push the boats most of the way back before the owners came to the rescue and pulled us with their super powered motor boat. Despite the low river levels and mud party, we had a fabulous time and beautiful happy memories of our boating experience up the Murchison River.
- What’s on this week for families in Perth - November 30, 2018
- Public Holidays WA - November 21, 2018
- Club Med Malaysia – Cherating Beach - November 19, 2018
- Guilderton Caravan Park WA - November 18, 2018
- The Rainbow Jungle Parrot Breeding Centre, Kalbarri - November 5, 2018
- Kalbarri National Park Z-Bend River Trail Lookout and Walk - October 30, 2018
- Bluff Knoll with Kids, Stirling Ranges - October 30, 2018
- Kids Sailing Perth – Tiny Tackers at Hillarys Yacht Club - October 29, 2018
- Shaana Cafe Yallingup - October 23, 2018
- Cycling on Rottnest Island - October 14, 2018