One of my family’s favourite things to do each summer is enjoy a movie under the stars on a balmy evening! A top spot to do this is on the lush lawns of Kings Park’s Moonlight Cinemas. The gates open at 6pm. Early birds keen to grab a good spot, often queue a little before then, while the kids play on the grass or hunt for giant creatures! There is a box office there, but some sessions tend to sell out, so I think it’s best to check and buy online.
Moonlight Cinemas is a BYO venue, though snacks and beverages are available at the snack bar. We pack our picnic basket with a mix of cheese, crackers, dips, fruit and crisps to graze on.
A big rug or low lying chairs are essential. In the past we took beach chairs, but it’s often easier (and more comfy) to hire bean bags. A limited number of bean bags are available for hire, so it’s best to get there early if that’s what you’d like to do. Extra blankets for snuggling or jumpers are a must, it can get chilly when the sun goes down. Insect repellent can be handy too. While we’re waiting for the movie to start (at sundown, about 8pm) we chat, eat and have a game of uno too. It’s such a pleasant way to wait for the sun to set.
At the back of the seating area, I noticed a few kids were playing ball games and running around too.
The 2018/19 season is on until March 2019. There’s always plenty of great family movies on, particularly during the school holidays. We’ve enjoyed a few in the past including Ferdinand and Transformers. Moonlight Cinemas is cashless, so remember to bring your bank card to make purchases.
Find Moonlight Cinemas at the Synergy Parkland, May Drive, Kings Park.
- Dilly Dally, Subiaco - February 25, 2020
- Food Box and Meal Delivery Services in Perth - February 25, 2020
- 10 Dôme Cafes Near Playgrounds - February 20, 2020
- Best Kid Friendly Cafes for Coffee & Cake in Perth - February 12, 2020
- Best Cafés for Mums Groups in Perth – North and Swan Valley - February 10, 2020
- Peppermint Green Coffee House, Joondalup - January 31, 2020
- The Best Things to See and Do at Whiteman Park - January 30, 2020
- The Beach House, Jindalee - January 24, 2020
- Maison Saint-Honoré, Floreat - January 20, 2020
- The Kid-Friendly Guide to Scarborough - January 15, 2020