Rugs Rats on Ice at Xtreme Ice in Mirrabooka is a dedicated session for children aged 5 years and under. The sessions run Wednesdays and Fridays 10am – 12pm during term time. Sessions cost $10 per child and $5 per adult which includes skate hire and a free coffee for adults.
Parents and guardians must accompany children on the ice but don’t worry if you can’t skate as you walk on the ice in your shoes. Kids can choose to wear their own shoes or, if they are feeling a bit confident, can opt for skates or double runners. The ice was slippery enough for my 1 & 2 year olds, so we opted to just wear our shoes.
Rug Rats on Ice is fantastic fun for both the kids and adults! There is a big mound of snow with buckets and spades and lots of other toys to get the kids having fun in the snow. Don’t forget to bring along a pair of gloves (if your kids will wear them 🙄)! If you don’t have gloves or left them at home there are gloves available to purchase.
My boys loved sliding around on the ice on the tike and toboggans! They were also able to push each other around in the cozy coupes, which also doubled as an aid so they didn’t fall over.
If your child wants to have a go a skating then you can hire a penguin skating aid for an additional $5.
There is also a fully qualified coach on hand to show kids and adults the basics of ice skating, on the day we visited the coach was great with my boys, with 2 of them and only one of me he helped them find their feet on the ice.
If you are accompanied by a younger sibling don’t be put off going along as prams are welcome on the ice. Understandably you are not allowed to carry any children on the ice.
I definitely underestimated how cold it would be on the ice! Make sure you rug up in warm clothes. It is also a good idea to take along a spare set of clothes to change into after the session as your child will probably end up with a damp bottom from sitting on the ice.
After our Rugs Rats on Ice session, we enjoyed our free coffee and some hot chips from the cafe. Food brought in from outside is not permitted.
Rug Rats on Ice at Xtreme Ice
- Splashfest, Swanbourne - February 20, 2019
- Boorna Waanginy: The Trees Speak - February 9, 2019
- Fringe World Festival – Fringe Kids - January 21, 2019
- The Ground Cafe, Lexia - January 18, 2019
- Mastercard Hopman Cup 2019, RAC Arena - December 30, 2018
- The Big Wedgie, South Perth - December 28, 2018
- Island Aqua Park, Hillarys Boat Harbour - December 18, 2018
- Lights in the Heights, Padbury - December 12, 2018
- RAC Christmas Pageant - November 29, 2018
- The Magic of Christmas at Wanneroo Botanic Gardens - November 27, 2018