The Whatley Street strip has a wealth of cafes to visit. Brunch lovers head to Mrs S, those of us with a sweet tooth can’t stroll past Sherbet without a coffee n cake and then there’s Steam Haus – where they’re serious about their coffee and helping the environment too.
Little Chef and I popped by for a drink, while we were out and about. The café is busy, but we find a couple of seats on the long share table by the front counter. It’s overlooked by a train mural, Steam Haus is found right opposite the Midland line, near the Maylands station. Further inside the old building and you’ll find a warren of little rooms and nooks to sit. If you venture through the back door, you can also sit on their back porch. A good spot for brunch with your fur-baby (who are very welcome).
One of the rooms has a dedicated kid’s area, there’s a few tables for parents to sit with some food and coffee, while little ones play with toys and books. It’s a good spot for a small Mum’s group catch up, highchairs are also available.
Little Chef dragged me back to the light and bright entrance, where he’d spotted an old-school pacman game in the window.
I had a pot of tea, instead of my usual caffeine hit. I chose chai, with a little jug of almond milk.
I grabbed a baby chino for Little Chef, which was served with a couple of marshmallows.
There were a few GF options and I really enjoyed the maple and walnut vegan slice, which was sweet, nutty and chewy (in a good way!).
There’s lots of other sweet treats in the cabinet and the menu looks tasty too.
Steam Haus is a fab little café and I’ll definitely be back to check out their coffees when I’m in the area.
- Mount Helena Tavern, Mount Helena - February 18, 2019
- Mount Flora Museum, Watermans Bay - February 14, 2019
- Chakra, Inglewood - February 11, 2019
- Zephyr Café, East Fremantle - February 10, 2019
- The Little Bay, Watermans Bay - February 6, 2019
- Mistelle, Bickley - February 4, 2019
- Jaffle Shack, West Perth - January 25, 2019
- Village Coffee, Marmion - January 23, 2019
- Golden Ponds, Baldivis - January 15, 2019
- Watermans Bay Beach and Playground - January 10, 2019