The Whatley Street strip has a wealth of cafes to visit. Brunch lovers head to Mrs S, those of us with a sweet tooth can’t stroll past Sherbet without a coffee n cake and then there’s Steam Haus – where they’re serious about their coffee and helping the environment too.
Little Chef and I popped by for a drink, while we were out and about. The café is busy, but we find a couple of seats on the long share table by the front counter. It’s overlooked by a train mural, Steam Haus is found right opposite the Midland line, near the Maylands station. Further inside the old building and you’ll find a warren of little rooms and nooks to sit. If you venture through the back door, you can also sit on their back porch. A good spot for brunch with your fur-baby (who are very welcome).
One of the rooms has a dedicated kid’s area, there’s a few tables for parents to sit with some food and coffee, while little ones play with toys and books. It’s a good spot for a small Mum’s group catch up, highchairs are also available.
Little Chef dragged me back to the light and bright entrance, where he’d spotted an old-school pacman game in the window.
I had a pot of tea, instead of my usual caffeine hit. I chose chai, with a little jug of almond milk.
I grabbed a baby chino for Little Chef, which was served with a couple of marshmallows.
There were a few GF options and I really enjoyed the maple and walnut vegan slice, which was sweet, nutty and chewy (in a good way!).
There’s lots of other sweet treats in the cabinet and the menu looks tasty too.
Steam Haus is a fab little café and I’ll definitely be back to check out their coffees when I’m in the area.
- Best Kid Friendly Cafes for Coffee & Cake in Perth - February 12, 2020
- Best Cafés for Mums Groups in Perth – North and Swan Valley - February 10, 2020
- Peppermint Green Coffee House, Joondalup - January 31, 2020
- The Best Things to See and Do at Whiteman Park - January 30, 2020
- The Beach House, Jindalee - January 24, 2020
- Maison Saint-Honoré, Floreat - January 20, 2020
- The Kid-Friendly Guide to Scarborough - January 15, 2020
- Best Mega Playgrounds – South of Perth - January 15, 2020
- Best Mega Parks – North of Perth - January 13, 2020
- Places to Watch the Australia Day Fireworks in and Around Perth - December 30, 2019