Stirling Cottage Kitchen is a small café restaurant located behind the Harvey Visitors Centre and is a replica of 1880’s homestead built by the first Governor of WA – Governor Stirling. Author and illustrator May Gibbs lived in the homestead as a child, it is believed her experiences in Harvey was the inspiration for her stories.
Stirling Cottage Kitchen offers a warm and welcoming environment, we enjoyed sitting outside overlooking the gardens and river, there is also plenty of indoor seating with a wood fire for those cold winter days. Although no child specific activities it is very child friendly, my older children enjoyed running around on the grass while they waited for their meals, highchairs are available for the little ones.
There is a good variety of food options for morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea. We stopped for lunch, there was plenty of people but the wait time was very reasonable and the food was fresh, warm and delicious!
The service was great and the staff were very friendly. Eftpos is available. Open 7 days a week, 9am – 4pm.
Before lunch we had discovered the beautiful May Gibbs artwork out the front of the Visitors Centre, my daughters favourite read “On all the big gum trees there are gumnut babies. Some people see them and some don’t, but they see everybody. Possibly, that how their eyes have grown so big”.
After lunch we enjoyed a walk in the beautiful Harvey Heritage Gardens, I’ve never seen so many butterflies in one place before – it was amazing. Miss 6 was determined to find a gumnut baby, looking high and low as we walked around the river and through the gardens. It is only a short 10-15 minute walk but plenty to see and well worth it.
Such a stunning location and full of history, a must do if you are visiting Harvey or passing by. Plenty of free parking and public toilets. The visitors’ centre staff are very knowledgeable and friendly.
Cnr South Western Highway & James Stirling Place, Harvey
- School Holiday Shopping Centre Activities - September 18, 2018
- iPlay, Westfield Carousel - September 6, 2018
- D’Uva’s Strawberry Picking, Wanneroo - September 3, 2018
- Westfield Carousel Rooftop Dining Precinct - August 30, 2018
- The Bothy Family Retreat, Lancelin - August 9, 2018
- Playing with Light, Scitech - August 7, 2018
- Ashley & Friends Day, Whiteman Park - August 2, 2018
- 115 Collective, Merriwa - August 2, 2018
- Lollipop’s Playland, Butler - July 16, 2018
- Mini Marine Biologist – Toddlers Tuesdays, AQWA - July 6, 2018