While Little Chef and I were checking out a park opposite the Empire Village shopping centre, I spied one of Perth’s most awarded fish n chip shops, The Groper and His Wife City Beach. The casual spot has been operating for over twenty years, winning many titles, including Best Fish and Chips in WA, Perth’s Best Fish and Chips and runner-up in the Best Fish and Chips in Australia. You can’t argue with that!
There’s a little dine in seating, as well as alfresco dining out the front. High chairs are available for little ones. It’s perfect for grabbing a takeaway meal and throwing down a picnic rug at Beecroft Park opposite.
If you feel like cooking, The Groper and His Wife also have a daily selection of freshly filleted fish.
WA Snapper and Hake are the standard fish used in their fish and chips. Other local options are Bronze Whaler Shark, Barramundi, Goldband and Pink Snapper, Red Emperor, Dhufish and Tasmanian salmon. We enjoyed snapper fillets, $18.50 each, cooked golden brown and served with a generous portion of crisp chips. Kids portions of Fish and chips are $9.90.
And of course a fish and chip dinner isn’t complete without sides… crab sticks, dim sims, potato scallops, pineapple fritter, prawn cutlets and much more are available on the menu. We had to order a serve of tender squid rings ($8.50 for 6 pieces). They are quite possibly the thickest, tastiest and freshest squid rings I’ve ever had!
The Groper is a little bit gourmet and there are even yummy dishes like Thai fish cakes, fish burgers, stuffed prawns and fresh salad bowls too. Save room for some chocolate brownies and rocky road later! There’s also a selection of bottled drinks. The Groper and His Wife claim to serve Perth’s very best fish and chips and thery’re most certainly up there with my favourites. This seafood spot is great for a casual family dinner, my parents and Little Chef totally agree!
Find The Groper and His Wife at Empire Village, 14/31 Gayton Rd, City Beach.
- The Ultimate guide to Swap Meets in Perth - May 13, 2019
- Latitude Birthday Party, Joondalup - May 9, 2019
- The Round House, Fremantle - May 9, 2019
- The Duke, Carramar - April 30, 2019
- The Best Chocolate Cafes in Perth and South West WA - April 10, 2019
- Perth Night Noodle Market, Elizabeth Quay - April 6, 2019
- Coode Street Jetty Walk, South Perth - March 31, 2019
- Swan Settlers Markets, Herne Hill - March 29, 2019
- Rottnest Fast Ferries, Hillarys - March 28, 2019
- Swan Valley Fresh Seasonal Produce Trail - March 25, 2019