While Little Chef and I were checking out a park opposite the Empire Village shopping centre, I spied one of Perth’s most awarded fish n chip shops, The Groper and His Wife City Beach. The casual spot has been operating for over twenty years, winning many titles, including Best Fish and Chips in WA, Perth’s Best Fish and Chips and runner-up in the Best Fish and Chips in Australia. You can’t argue with that!
There’s a little dine in seating, as well as alfresco dining out the front. High chairs are available for little ones. It’s perfect for grabbing a takeaway meal and throwing down a picnic rug at Beecroft Park opposite.
If you feel like cooking, The Groper and His Wife also have a daily selection of freshly filleted fish.
WA Snapper and Hake are the standard fish used in their fish and chips. Other local options are Bronze Whaler Shark, Barramundi, Goldband and Pink Snapper, Red Emperor, Dhufish and Tasmanian salmon. We enjoyed snapper fillets, $18.50 each, cooked golden brown and served with a generous portion of crisp chips. Kids portions of Fish and chips are $9.90.
And of course a fish and chip dinner isn’t complete without sides… crab sticks, dim sims, potato scallops, pineapple fritter, prawn cutlets and much more are available on the menu. We had to order a serve of tender squid rings ($8.50 for 6 pieces). They are quite possibly the thickest, tastiest and freshest squid rings I’ve ever had!
The Groper is a little bit gourmet and there are even yummy dishes like Thai fish cakes, fish burgers, stuffed prawns and fresh salad bowls too. Save room for some chocolate brownies and rocky road later! There’s also a selection of bottled drinks. The Groper and His Wife claim to serve Perth’s very best fish and chips and thery’re most certainly up there with my favourites. This seafood spot is great for a casual family dinner, my parents and Little Chef totally agree!
Find The Groper and His Wife at Empire Village, 14/31 Gayton Rd, City Beach.
- Best Kid Friendly Cafes for Coffee & Cake in Perth - February 12, 2020
- Best Cafés for Mums Groups in Perth – North and Swan Valley - February 10, 2020
- Peppermint Green Coffee House, Joondalup - January 31, 2020
- The Best Things to See and Do at Whiteman Park - January 30, 2020
- The Beach House, Jindalee - January 24, 2020
- Maison Saint-Honoré, Floreat - January 20, 2020
- The Kid-Friendly Guide to Scarborough - January 15, 2020
- Best Mega Playgrounds – South of Perth - January 15, 2020
- Best Mega Parks – North of Perth - January 13, 2020
- Places to Watch the Australia Day Fireworks in and Around Perth - December 30, 2019