The Tin Horse Highway can be accessed east from the town of Kulin and is a great route to take if you are travelling to or from Wave Rock. This is a bit of fun for all the fam and a welcome break from “are we there yet?” and other back seat shenanigans.
The Tin Horse Highway has been delighting travelers since 1995 and it’s been growing ever since. Another fantastic initiative started by the community of Kulin to promote the Kulin Bush Races and lure visitors to their wonderful town.
What started out as a bit of a laugh soon morphed into a frenzy of creativity birthed from the sheds and workshops of locals. Behind every sculpture is a story and a lot of humour. My favourite was the horse radishes – you can’t help but smile.
It’s certainly a unique self-driving tour. Best part is it’s free and can be viewed all year round – no matter the season.
We did a few drive by’s and some stop-off’s for a closer look and some happy snaps. Most are fairly accessible, though obviously take caution when pulling up to view especially if littlies are getting out of the car – it is a major highway.
Our top 5 were:
- Horse Radishes
- The West Kulin Whopper
- The Waterslide reenactment (their faces are a crack up)
- The New Zealand Cricket team VS the Aussies
- A ballerina we zoomed by
There are soooooo many more and we’ll be sure to pay more attention on our next visit as we missed quite a few.
The “Quirky open-air gallery” evolves every year with new pieces added annually and there are loads of crazy horse sculptures to be found in the town of Kulin itself.
Check out this little doco on how the horse highway came about.
Be sure to check out the Kulin website for loads of information and interesting facts on the Tin Horse Highway, the Town of Kulin and surrounding areas.
- Wave Rock, Hyden - February 14, 2020
- Town of Kulin - February 14, 2020
- Wave Rock Caravan Park - February 14, 2020
- Tin Horse Highway, Kulin - February 13, 2020
- Kulin Aquatic Centre & Waterslide - January 30, 2020
- Raeburn Orchards, Roleystone - May 17, 2019
- Portside Grill Hillarys – CLOSED - May 8, 2019
- Cafe 16, Kelmscott - May 8, 2019
- Sampson House, Fremantle - May 8, 2019
- Heritage Walk Trail One, Fremantle Cemetery - May 8, 2019