Varsity is quite the popular burger joint. The American themed bar, with huge wall people devouring burgers, chips, chicken wings, $5 cans of American beer and Pyrex jugs filled to the brim with creamy milkshakes!
The bar is found on the ground level of Broadway Shopping Centre, a hop skip and jump from UWA, giving Varsity a student bar feel, though there were plenty of “cough” older people chowing down on their burgers there too.
The crowd at Varsity is pretty lively. It’s not a quiet bar. There’s sports on big screens, pool tables, a ping pong table, arcade games and more.
With Little Chef being an only child, we tend to think of where we’d like to go to eat and hope that there’s a kids menu, rather than take him somewhere geared at kids. Varsity isn’t a bar you’d immediately think of taking kids to, though there were quite a few families when we visited. I think its fine for older kids, like 8 year old Little Chef. There’s a kids menu so it ticked that box for us.
Little Chef picked the cheeseburger and chips ($10), which he devoured in no time.
Chef chose the double cheese deluxe ($14), packed with meaty patties, lettuce, tomato, red onion, pickles and Varsity’s special mayo. The serve of chunky chips is very generous.
Named after a rapper, I chose the “NOTORIOUS P.I.G” ($15), and it was B.I.G! Overflowing with moist pulled pork, a “durty” slaw, and Carolina BBQ sauce. Their beer battered fries contain gluten, so I picked a salad, which was much better than your usual token side salad. The burger was on a GF bun too.
There are some interesting burgers on the menu, none more so than the “PRESLEY”, double cheeseburger, bacon, crunchy peanut butter and smashed banana. Elvis would be proud! You can really customise your burger too, with many weird and wonderful add ons – jalapeños, pickles, peanut butter, durty slaw, cheese, pineapple, tobacco onions, mushroom, smashed banana, pimento cheese, bacon, extra chicken or even an extra patty.
All in all, we liked Varsity a lot. The boys loved their burgers and the lively atmosphere.
- Rainy Day Activities in the Margaret River Region - June 18, 2019
- Things to do in Mundaring with Kids - June 15, 2019
- Kid Friendly Restaurants with Log Fires in Perth - June 13, 2019
- Mundaring Weir With Kids - June 11, 2019
- Tom’s Kitchen at Fairbrossen, Carmel - June 6, 2019
- No1 Pump Station, Mundaring Weir - June 6, 2019
- Kid Friendly Day trips in Perth - May 31, 2019
- Kid-Friendly Guide to Kalamunda and the Bickley Valley - May 31, 2019
- Country and Coastal Day Trips from Perth - May 29, 2019
- High Tea in Perth with Kids - May 22, 2019