WA Museum – the Western Australian Museum has set up the much loved Discovery Zone within the State Library of Western Australia while the museum is closed over the next few years. Children of all ages will appreciate the displays and activities, even parents will be fascinated to discover some new facts!
The displays are changed periodically, however when we visited there were an array of displays from insects, rocks, knives, toys, skeletons and skulls to taxidermy animals, and a life size elephant skeleton.
You can try and piece together shipwreck artefacts, make dinosaur footprints in the sand and when we went, we got to create our own butterfly display and spider mask to take home.
There’s a mat area with related toys, books and bean bags plus some seating for mum and dad. There are people there to help with the craft activities and engage the children in the fascinating natural history.
It’s certainly worth a visit, and if you have a little train obsessed one like I do, it was a lovely afternoon catching the train in. One of the best parts is that it is free to visit. The library has a lovely inviting children’s area upstairs as well and a cafe. The zone is open from 10am-4pm daily, excluding public holidays. Further information is available here museum.wa.gov.au/museums/offsite/discovery-zone
Also offered for 3-5-year-olds is a weekly program on a Thursday morning, with games, stories and craft for the little explorers. This is an 8-week program and is $30 for the term. More details here museum.wa.gov.au/museums/offsite/tiny-discoverers-early-learning-program
- Dough Pizza, Westfield Whitford City - September 18, 2018
- Something Italian, Merriwa - November 14, 2017
- Guzman y Gomez, Westfield Whitford City - October 11, 2017
- Prince of Wales Hotel Bistro Bunbury - September 4, 2017
- Corners on King Bunbury - September 4, 2017
- Bunbury Wildlife Park - May 29, 2017
- Music Together with Sarah - May 11, 2017
- Discovery Park-Koombana Bay Holiday Park - March 29, 2017
- WA Museum Discovery Zone at The State Library of WA - March 13, 2017
- Hardware Cafe, Quinns Rocks - February 4, 2017